The central government has amended the Legal Metrology (Packaged Commodities) Rules 2011 making declaration of maximum retail price (MRP) in Indian currency inclusive of all taxes on pre packed commodities and date of manufacture mandatory. The amendments to come into effect from 1st April, 2022, said the Ministry of Consumer Affairs, Food & Public Distribution.
- Centre amends the Legal Metrology (Packaged Commodities) Rules 2011 for enhanced protection of Consumer Rights.
- The amendments to come into effect from 1st April, 2022
- Amendment to ensure that consumers are able to make an informed choice and reduced compliance for industries
- Mandatory declaration of MRP in Indian currency inclusive of all taxes on pre packed products
- For protection of Consumer rights, Unit Sale Price for all pre packed commodities meant for retail sale is introduced
- Declaration of date of manufacture on the pre packed commodities is made mandatory for pre packed commodities under the revised rules
“To safeguard interest of consumers, the Department of Consumer Affairs under Ministry of Consumer Affairs, Food and Public Distribution has omitted the Rule 5 of the Legal Metrology (Packaged Commodities), Rules 2011 defining the Schedule II prescribing the pack sizes of various types of commodities.
Changes notified: (applicable w.e.f. 01.04.2022)
- A new provision has been introduced to indicate the unit sale price on pre packed commodities, which will allow easier comparison of the prices of the commodities at the time of purchase.
- Declaration reg. Mfd. Date: For reducing compliance burden and removing the ambiguity of declaration of date on pre packed commodities for consumers, the declaration has now been required to the month and year in which the commodity is manufactured for the pre packed commodities.
- MRP declaration simplified: The provisions of declarations of MRP has been simplified by removing illustrationand providing for making the mandatory declaration of MRP in Indian currency inclusive of all taxes. This has allowed the manufacturer/packer/importer to declare the MRP on the pre packed commodities in a simplified manner.
- Declaration regarding commodities sold (in N or U): Now the quantities can be expressed in terms of the number or unit or piece or pair or set or such other word which represents the quantity in the package. This will remove the ambiguity of declaration of quantity sold by number in pre packed commodities. (Earlier such declarations could be denoted as ‘N’ or ‘U’ only.)
Source: Press Release
Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to avoid errors or omissions in this material. In spite of this, errors may creep in. Any mistake, error or discrepancy noted may be brought to our notice which shall be taken care of in the next edition. In no event the author shall be liable for any direct, indirect, special or incidental damage resulting from or arising out of or in connection with the use of this information. In case of any query, you may please connect with the author @ email@example.com // +91 9625483520