Current and Corporate Affairs : 01 Augest 2020
- Health Minister Harsh Vardhan chairs 19th meeting of high-level Group of Ministers on COVID19: – Union Health Minister Dr. Harsh Vardhan chaired the 19th meeting of the high-level Group of Ministers on COVID-19 in New Delhi on Friday. Speaking on the occasion, Dr Harsh Vardhan said, India has achieved the milestone of more than ten lakh recoveries which has taken the recovery rate to 64.54 per cent. This shows that the active cases under medical supervision are only 33.27 per cent or approximately one third of total positive cases. He said, India’s Case Fatality Rate is also progressively reducing and currently stands at 2.18 per cent, one of the lowest globally. On the severity of cases found in the country, Dr. Harsh Vardhan stated that, out of the total active cases, only 0.28 per cent patients are on ventilators, 1.61 per cent patients needed ICU support and 2.32 per cent are on Oxygen support. He said, through a network of one thousand 331 labs, India has conducted a record of over six lakh 42 thousand tests in the last 24 hours. This has taken the cumulative tests to more than one crore 88 lakh.
- Harsh Vardhan calls for greater cooperation amongst countries to tackle risks and dangers posed by communicable and non communicable diseases: -Union Health Minister Dr. Harsh Vardhan presided over a meeting of the Bureau of the Executive Board of the World Health Organization (WHO) through video conference on Friday. In the meeting, Health Minister asserted that unified action is necessary to ensure a timely, adequate and coordinated global response against COVID like situations. He called for greater cooperation amongst countries to tackle risks and dangers posed by communicable and non-communicable diseases. Dr. Harsh Vardhan urged WHO members to forge multi-sectoral collaboration to mobilize global response, support and cooperation to fight such diseases more effectively.
- 15th Finance Commission’s HLEG on Agricultural Exports submits report: – The High Level Group (HLEG) on Agricultural Exports set up by the Fifteenth Finance Commission has submitted its report to the Commission on Friday. The HLEG was set up to recommend measurable performance incentives for states to encourage agricultural exports and to promote crops to enable high import substitution. After intensive research and consultations from stakeholders and the private sector, the HLEG has made its recommendations. The recommendations include demand driven approach and focus on 22 crop value chains. The group has also suggested creation of state led export plan with participation from all stakeholders.
- Housing Minister Hardeep Singh Puri releases Affordable Rental Housing Complexes Knowledge Pack: – Union Housing Minister Hardeep Singh Puri released Affordable Rental Housing Complexes (ARHC) Knowledge Pack on Friday. This includes MoUs to be signed with States and Union Territories to provide ease of living to urban migrants in the country. The Union Cabinet had approved ARHC as a sub scheme under Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana (Urban) earlier this month to provide housing facility to migrant workers and urban
- Cases of triple talaq come down drastically after enactment of Muslim Women Protection of Rights on Marriage Act, says Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi: –Minority Affairs Minister Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi today said triple talaq cases have come down drastically after the enactment of the Muslim Women Protection of Rights on Marriage Act. Addressing Muslim women from across the country at an event marking the first anniversary after the enactment of the law, Mr Naqvi said the present government at centre made it a criminal offence thus bolstering self-reliance and self-confidence among Muslim women.
- Union Environment Minister says, India could provide platform wherein all best practices in environmental management in BRICS countries could be showcased: –Environment Ministers of the five BRICS countries, Brazil, Russia, India, China and South Africa participated in the 6th BRICS Environment Ministers’ Meeting yesterday through a video conference under the presidency of
Russia. Representing India, Union Environment Minister Prakash Javadekar said, India attaches great importance to the BRICS. Saying that the aspirations of the grouping are similar, the Minister called for sharing of best practices among the BRICS nations towards attainment of Sustainable Development Goals.
- Karnataka Governor directs state govt to augment Covid tests, use Ayurvedic and homeopathic medicines to prevent pandemic: Karnataka Governor Vajubhai Vala has directed the state Government to augment Covid tests, use Ayurvedic and homeopathic medicines to prevent the pandemic. Chief Minister B S Yediyurappa and Home Minister Basavaraj Bommai met the Governor on Friday to brief him about steps taken to contain the pandemic. During this interaction, Government also suggested to the Chief Minister to ban the sale and distribution of tobacco and gutka to curb drugs sold as pan masala.
- End to end digital solution for COVID 19 patients, Covid Raksha launched in Bengaluru: –In Bengaluru, an end to end digital solution for COVID 19 patients, Covid Raksha, has been launched today. An initiative of Member of Parliament from Bengaluru South Tejasvi Surya, Covid Raksha is a one stop system for citizens to learn about handling Covid virus. A helpline 61914960 has been set up as part of the system for citizens to report Covid 19 symptoms, get tested and seek guidance from hospitals for treatment. Covid Raksha will also provide emergency care to the patients at home till they are shifted to the hospital or Covid Care Centre. Expert doctors will offer tele or video consultation to such people. More than 10 start-ups and 300 volunteers will be operating the system.
- MP CM appeals to ministers, MLAs to donate 30% salary to Relief Fund:- Madhya Pradesh Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan has appealed to the Ministers and MLAs in the state to contribute 30 per cent of their salaries to the Chief Minister’s Relief Fund in the fight against Covid-19 pandemic. Mr Chouhan is also donating 30 per cent of his salary to the fund. He also appealed to the people to contribute to the Fund. Mr Chouhan reviewed the situation due to corona and the arrangements in the state through video conferencing.
- Young people must take precautions to protect themselves and others from COVID-19, says WHO: – The World Health Organization has warned that spikes in coronavirus transmission in a number of countries were being driven by young people letting down their guard. WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said, although older people are at a higher risk of severe disease, younger people are at risk too. One of the challenges we face is convincing younger people of this risk, he added. Saying that young people can be infected and can transmit the virus to others, he stressed that young people must take the same precautions to protect themselves and others.
- ADB signs Dollar 200 million financing deal with Reliance for power plant in Bangladesh: – The Asian Development Bank (ADB) has signed a dollar 200 million financing deal with the Reliance Bangladesh LNG and Power Limited (RBLPL) to build and operate a 718 megawatt combinedcycle gas-fired power plant in Bangladesh. Announcing the deal in a press release on Friday, the ADB said that the project will ease ongoing energy shortages and drive further private sector investments in the country’s power sector.
- ISA amends framework agreement to enable UN member states to join grouping: –In a major development and push to Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s vision of achieving universalization of membership of the International Solar Alliance (ISA), the requisite number of member countries have given the go-ahead. After ratification to the amendment of the ISA framework, all the Member States of the United Nations will now be able to join the International Solar Alliance, including those countries which are beyond the Tropics. The International Solar Alliance was launched jointly by Prime Minister Modi and the President of France during COP21 in Paris. The alliance aims to contribute to the implementation of the Paris Climate Agreement through rapid and massive deployment of solar energy. It also brings together countries to provide a collective response to the main common obstacles to the massive deployment of solar energy in terms of technology, finance and capacity
BUSINESS AND FINANCE
- Eight core industries’ output shrinks 15% in June:- Contracting for the fourth consecutive month, the output of eight core infrastructure industries shrank by 15 per cent in June this year due to fall in the production of coal, crude oil, natural gas, steel, cement and electricity. According to the data released by the Commerce and Industry Ministry today, the output of coal sector fell 15.5 per cent, crude oil declined by 6 per cent , natural gas by 12 per cent, refinery products fell by 8.9 per cent, steel sector plunged by 33.8 per cent, cement by 6.9 per cent and electricity declined by 11 per cent.
- Govt working with RBI to restructure loans due to impact of Corona virus, says Finance Minister: – Union Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman said that the government is working with RBI on the Industry’s need for the restructuring of loans due to the impact of COVID-19. The Minister was addressing the National Executive Committee Meeting (NECM) of the Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce and Industry (FICCI) on Friday.
- Central Government to fund 112 startups to promote Agri Firms: –The Central Government will spend nearly twelve crore rupees for funding 112 startups to promote agri firms in the current financial year. Minister of Agriculture and Farmers’ Welfare Narendra Singh Tomar said the funds will be given to the start-ups selected by different knowledge partners and agribusiness incubators in the area of agro-processing, food technology and value addition. He said, the funds will be provided under the Innovation and Agri-entrepreneurship Development Programme launched under the revamped Rashtriya Krishi Vikas Yojana.
Thanks for reading “Current and Corporate Affairs : 01 Augest 2020“
Compiled By : CS Surbhi Saxena
Subscribe Us on You Tube for LIVE Webinars : CLICK HERE