Article on Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI)

What is FSSAI?

Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI) which is an organization to regulate and governs the food business in India. It is established under the Ministry of Health & Family Welfare, Government of India which is headquarter is in New Delhi.

The FSSAI has been established under the Food Safety and Standards Act, 2006. It ensures that food products which are available in market are free from perilous and toxic mixtures. It must be safe for human consumption and also fulfil quality requirements which is determine by the authority. It is responsible for the registering and licensing of the Food Business Operators (hereinafter FBO) in India and it lays down the bylaws for running the food business in India.

About 80% of food product have a specification by FSSAI only sea products and production involving fishermen and farmers are out of the ambit of the act.

As per Section 31(1) of FSSAI Act, 2006 every Food Business Operator in the country is required to be licensed under the Food Safety and Standards Authority of India. The licensing and registration procedure and requirements are regulated by Food Safety & Standards (Licensing and Registration of food Business) Regulations, 2011.

The license is mandatory in order to start any business in India and also to maintain the legality of your doings. Having an FSSAI license number is a matter of privilege which means that the food authority of India has granted making of certain products and thus, in turn, it gains the confidence of the customers. It is an identity card of your organization. FSSAI license is valid for a minimum period of one year and for a maximum of up to five years. Failing in order to obtain the license will bring legal consequences and it would further deter in the growth of the business.

About Registration and License

As per in FSS (Licensing & Registration) Regulations, 2011, Licenses and
Registrations are granted to FBOs in a 3-tier system, viz

> Basic Registration (person who have petty food business)

> State License (person who have medium food business)

> Central License (person who have large food business)

FSSAI Registration is different from FSSAI License. It is depending on the size and nature of the business, FBO should obtain the necessary registration or license.

FSSAI Registration

It requires FSSAI registration for all petty food business operator. Petty food business operator means a person who:

> Manufactures or sells any article of food himself or a petty retailer, hawker, itinerant vendor or temporary stall holder; or distributes foods including in any religious or social gathering except a caterer;

> Such other food businesses including petty scale or cottage or such other industries relating to food business or tiny food businesses with an annual turnover not exceeding Rs 12 lakhs and/or whose

> Production capacity of food (other than milk and milk products and meat and meat products) does not exceed 100 kg/ltr per day or

> Procurement or handling and collection of milk is up to 500 litres of milk per day or

> Slaughtering capacity is 2 large animals or 10 petty animals or 50 poultry birds per day or less.

Form-A is needed to be filed. Registration certificate contains the details of registration and a photo of the applicant. Display the certificate prominently at the place of the food business, at all times while carrying on the food business.

Central Licensing

> Dairy units including milk chilling units equipped to handle or process more than 50,000 litres of liquid milk/day or 2500 MT of milk solid per annum.

> Vegetable oil processing units and units producing vegetable oil by the process of solvent extraction and refineries including oil expeller unit having installed capacity more than 2 MT per day.

> All slaughter houses equipped to slaughter more than 50 large animals or 150 or more small animals including sheep and goats or 1000 or more poultry birds per day.

> Meat processing units equipped to handle or process more than 500 kg of meat per day or 150 MT per annum.

> All food processing units other than mentioned under (I) to (IV) including relabellers and repackers having installed capacity more than 2 MT/day except grains, cereals and pulses milling units.

> 100 % Export Oriented Units (EOU).

> All Importers importing food items including food ingredients and additives for commercial use.

> All food business operators manufacturing/ processing/ importing any proprietary food for which NOC has been given by FSSAI.

> Registered/ Head office of FBOs operating in two or more states.

> Food catering services in establishments and units under Central government Agencies like Railways, Air and airport, Seaport, Defence etc.

> Hotels with 5 star and above accreditation.

> All E-commerce food businesses.

Central FSSAI License Form-B is needed to be filed when the food unit’s turnover is more than 20 crores.

State Licensing

> All grains, cereals and pulses milling units.

> All FBOs except mentioned above.
Form B is if the food unit’s turnover is less than Rs.20 crore and if the operation is only limited to the State

List of documents required for FSSAI registration

Common Documents –

> Form B – completed and signed

> Photo Identity of FBO

> Proof of possession of premises

> Partnership Deed / Certificate of Incorporation / Articles of Association etc

> List of food products to be dealt with

> Food safety management system plan

Mandatory Documents –

> Form-B duly completed and signed (in duplicate) by the proprietor/ partner or the authorised signatory (mandatory for all categories).

> Blueprint/layout plan of the processing unit showing the dimensions in metres/square metres and operation-wise area allocation (mandatory for manufacturing and processing units only).

> List of Directors with full address and contact details (mandatory for companies only)

> Name and List of Equipment’s and Machinery along with the number, installed capacity and horse power used (mandatory for manufacturing and processing units only).

> Photo ID and address proof issued by Government authority of Proprietor/Partner/Director(s)/Authorized Signatory. (optional).

> List of food categories desired to be manufactured. (In case of manufacturers).

> Authority letter with name and address of responsible person nominated by the manufacturer along with alternative responsible person indicating the powers vested with them viz, assisting the officers in inspections, collection of samples, packing & dispatch. (mandatory for manufacturing and processors).

> Analysis report (Chemical & Bacteriological) of water to be used as ingredient in food from a recognized/ public health laboratory to confirm the portability (mandatory only for manufacturing and processing units only).

> Proof of possession of premises. (Sale deed/ Rent agreement/ Electricity bill, etc.) (optional).

> Partnership Deed/Affidavit/Memorandum & Articles of Association towards the constitution of the firm. (optional).

> Copy of certificate obtained under Coop Act – 1861/Multi State Coop Act – 2002 in case of Cooperatives. (wherever applicable).

> NOC from manufacturer (mandatory for Re-labellers and Re-packers)

> Food Safety Management System plan or certificate (if any).

> Source of milk or procurement plan for milk including location of milk collection centre’s etc. in case of Milk and Milk Products processing units. (wherever applicable).

> Source of raw material for meat and meat processing plants. (wherever applicable).

> Pesticide residues report of water in case of units manufacturing packaged drinking water, packaged Mineral water and/or carbonated water from a recognized/ public health

> Recall plan wherever applicable, with details on whom the product is distributed. (Optional).

> NOCs from Municipality or local body.

Other Matters

> Form-C is all needed but when there is a procedure of the FSSAI renewal process.

> FSSAI Form IX is the nomination form that is to be submitted forward with the FSSAI application. The form constitutes the NOMINATION OF PERSONS BY A COMPANY. The administrators or the concerned officials have to nominate employees for the same.

> Food Business Operator operating in more than two States has to get Central License for its registered Office/ Head Office and separate license/ Registration for each units depending upon the capacity/ turnover from the concerned State/ Central Licensing Authority.

> FBO can’t renew his License or Registration if it is not applied within 60/30 days from the expiry of license/registration. Once the license/registration is expired, the FBO has to apply a fresh.

> All FBO including medical stores have to get FSSAI license/registration.

> FSSAI license is a premise-based license. Multiple kinds of activities carried out at the same premise can be endorsed in the single FSSAI license.

Thanks for reading my article on Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI)

Article on Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI)



Follow Us on LinkedIn for Job Updates : Click Here to Visit LinkedIn Profile