The income tax department sent out a fresh warning for taxpayers who are yet to link their PAN with their Aadhaar. If the PAN is not linked with Aadhaar by the deadline then PAN will become inoperative. Further, there is a penalty is applicable.
income tax department has issued a warning to taxpayers who are yet to link their PAN with their Aadhaar. As per the latest update on the tax department’s e-filing website, “All PAN holders, who do not come under the exempt category as per Notification No. 37/2017, dated 11th May, 2017 and have not linked their Aadhaar with PAN yet, are requested to do so immediately. Failure to do so will lead to the unlinked PAN becoming inoperative.”
The website of UIDAI or Unique Identification Authority of India gives a complete guide to do the same. It has been simplified below.
- Go to Income Tax e-filing portal https://incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in/
- Register on the website. Your PAN number will be your ‘User ID’.
- Log in by entering the User ID, password and date of birth.
- Now, a pop-up window will appear, prompting you to link your PAN with Aadhaar.
- If the window does not appear, go to ‘Profile Settings’ on the Menu bar and click on ‘Link Aadhaar’.
- Some blanks will already be filled such as name date of birth and gender as per the PAN details.
- Verify the PAN details on the screen with the ones mentioned on your Aadhaar.
- If the details match, enter your Aadhaar number and click on the “Link now” button.
- A pop-up message will inform you that your Aadhaar has been successfully linked to your PAN
- You may also visit https://www.utiitsl.com/ OR https://www.egov-nsdl.co.in/ to link your PAN and Aadhaar.
Hence, if the PAN is not linked with Aadhaar by the due date of March 31, 2023, then the PAN will become inoperative.
Do note that now there is a penalty applicable for linking PAN with Aadhaar. If an individual links her PAN with her Aadhaar now, then she is liable to pay a late fee of Rs 1,000 as the date for linking without penalty is past.
Steps to pay penalty for linking PAN with Aadhaar
Before you start the process of paying penalty to link your PAN with your Aadhaar, ensure that you have following:
- Valid PAN number
- Valid Aadhaar number
- Valid mobile number
Follow the steps below to pay penalty for linking PAN with Aadhaar
Step 1: Visit TIN (egov-nsdl.com) for an e-payment of a late fee of Rs 1000
Step 2: Select the ‘Proceed’ option in non-TDS/TCS category Challan no./ITNS 280.
Step 3: On the new webpage that opens, select ‘Tax applicable – (0021) – Income tax (other than companies)’ and type of payment ‘500 (other receipts)’.
Step 4: Enter the other required details such as PAN, assessment year (2023-24), mode of payment (Net Banking/Debit card), Address, email, and mobile number.
Step 5: Enter the captcha code and click on ‘Proceed’ to complete the payment.