As you all might be aware about the notification issued by the CBIC regarding relaxation in filing of annual GST returns. So many of you might be having some questions in their mind. So I have tried answering some of these questions by way of FAQs.
Q. What is GSTR-9 ?
Ans. GSTR-9 is an annual return to be filed yearly by taxpayers registered under GST.
- It consists of details regarding the outward and inward supplies made/ received during the relevant previous year under different heads i.e. CGST, SGST & IGST Act.
- It is a consolidation of monthly / quarterly returns filed in that year. This return helps in reconciliation of data for transparency in disclosures.
Q. What is GSTR-9A ?
Ans. GSTR-9A is an annual return to be filed once in a year by the taxpayers who have opted for the composition scheme under GST for a particular financial year. It includes all the information furnished in the quarterly returns filed by the composition taxpayers during that financial year.
Q. Who are required to file the annual return ?
Ans. As per Section 44 of CGST Act, 2017
- Every registered person, other than an input distributor or a person paying tax under section 51 or section 52, a casual taxable person and a non-resident taxable person, shall furnish an annual return for every financial year electronically in such form and manner as may be prescribed on or before the thirty-first day of December following the end of such financial year.
- Every registered person who is required to get his accounts audited in accordance with the provisions of section 35(5) shall furnish, electronically, the annual return along with a copy of the audited annual accounts and a reconciliation statement, reconciling the value of supplies declared in the return furnished for the financial year with the audited annual financial statement.
Q. What are the due dates for filing of annual return ?
Ans. For filing annual return for the financial year 2017-18, due date (revised) is 31st Dec, 2019 and for the financial year 2018-19, due date (revised) is 31st Mar, 2020.
Q. What is the relaxation provided by the Notification No. 47/2019 ?
Ans. CBIC vide Notification No. 47/2019 dated 9th Oct, 2019 has given relaxation from filing the annual GST returns for the Financial Year 2017-18 and 2018-19 to those registered persons whose aggregate turnover in a financial year does not exceed Rs. 2 Crore and who have not furnished the annual return.
Q. What is the practical implication of Notification No. 47/2019 ?
Ans. Filing of annual return is not mandatory if :
- Registered person is having turnover less than Rs. 2 Crore and
- There is no mistake in filing the form GSTR-1 and GSTR-3B during particular F.Y. and
- The auto populated summary for GSTR-9 is correct.
Q. What is the conclusion of Notification No.47/2019 in a nut shell ?
Ans. The conclusion of this notification is as follows :-
- Those registered persons whose aggregate turnover in a financial year does not exceed Rs 2 Crore and who have not furnished the annual return before the due date, the said persons shall have the option to furnish the annual return.
- Provided that the said return shall be deemed to be furnished on the due date if it has not been furnished before the due date.
- And if they have not filed their annual return then the auto populated summary generated from form GSTR-1 & GSTR-3B filed by them will be taken as the annual return.
Q. What is the consequence of non filing of annual return ?
Ans. The late fees for delay in filing of annual return is Rs. 100 per day per act. That means late fees of Rs. 100 under CGST Act and Rs. 100 per day under SGST Act.
Hence total liability is Rs. 200 per day, subject to a maximum of 0.25% of the said financial year’s turnover of the registered person in the relevant state or union territory.
Hopefully, your queries have been resolved by this article.
If you want to read some other tax related topics on budget 2019, then see my other articles here : CLICK HERE TO SEE MY OTHER ARTICLES
AUTHOR : SHALINI PASSI (CLICK HERE TO VIEW PROFILE)