Current and Corporate Affairs as on 30th July 2020
- India’s Case Fatality Rate lowest since 1st April at 2.23%: Govt: -Coordinated implementation of “Test Track Treat” strategy by the Union and State governments has effectively ensured that the Case Fatality Rate, CFR is maintained at a low level when compared to the global scenario, and it has been progressively falling. The Case Fatality Rate stands at 2.23 per cent today and it is lowest since 1st April 2020. Not only has the CFR been kept a low rate, the successful implementation of effective containment strategy, aggressive testing and standardized clinical management protocols based on holistic Standard of Care approach have in tandem resulted in a consistent trend of more than 30 thousand recoveries per day for the sixth consecutive day. The total number of recovered cases is fast approaching 1 million. With 35,286 patients discharged in the last 24 hours, the total recoveries have jumped to 9,88,029. The recovery rate has reached another high of 64.51 per cent amongst COVID-19 patients.With such consistent increase in recoveries, the gap between recovered patients and active COVID-19 cases currently stands at 4 lakh 78 thousand 5 hundred 82. Active cases of 5,09,447 are under medical supervision.
- First five Rafale jets land at Ambala air force station; India welcomes the ‘Golden Arrows’: – The first batch of five Rafale jets landed in Ambala Wednesday afternoon. It was a historic moment as they were greeted with water cannon salute at Ambala Air Force base. Rafale jets were escorted by two Sukhoi 30 MKI supersonic fighters as they entered Indian airspace. After entering Indian Airspace, Indian Rafale contingent was welcomed by establishing radio contact with Indian Navy warship INS Kolkata, deployed in the Western Arabian Sea. Air Force Chief Air Chief Marshal RKS Bhadauria and Air Officer Commanding-in-Chief of Western Air Command Air Marshal B Suresh welcomed the first five IAF Rafales at Air Force Station Ambala.
- Cabinet approves National Education Policy 2020:- The Cabinet today approved National Education Policy 2020. A single regulator for higher education institutions, multiple entry and exit options in degree courses, discontinuation of MPhil programmes, low stakes board exams, common entrance exams for universities are among the highlights of the new National Education Policy. Briefing media in New Delhi this evening, Information and Broadcasting Minister Prakash Javadekar said, the Cabinet chaired by Prime Minister Narendra Modi has given approval to a new education policy for the 21st century. He said, it is important, as for 34 years there were no changes in the education policy. Education Minister Ramesh Pokhriyal Nishank said, New Education Policy 2020 will prove to be a milestone in the making of New India. Mr Nishank said, the Cabinet also approved changing the name of the Human Resources Development Ministry to Education Ministry. Secretary Higher Education Amit Khare said, NEP 2020 aims to increase the Gross Enrolment Ratio in higher education including vocational education from 26.3 per cent in 2018 to 50 per cent by He said, at least 3.5 crore new seats will be added to higher education institutions.
- Cabinet approves MoU signed between India & Zimbabwe on Traditional Systems of Medicine: -The Union Cabinet today gave ex-post facto approval to Memorandum of Understanding signed between India and Zimbabwe on Cooperation in the field of Traditional Systems of Medicine and Homeopathy. The MoU was signed on 3rd November, 2018. It will provide a frame work for the cooperation between the two countries for the promotion of traditional systems of medicine and homeopathy and will mutually benefit the two countries in the field of Traditional Medicine.
- NTPC achieves highest daily gross power generation of 977.07 Million Unit: -National Thermal Power Corporation, NTPC, has achieved highest daily gross power generation of 977.07 Million Unit yesterday. Total power generation includes power generated from its Subsidiary and joint venture companies. In a statement today, NTPC stated that five of its power stations Korba, Sipat and Lara in Chhattisgarh, Talcher Kaniha in Odisha and Koldam hydro in Himachal Pradesh exhibited exceptional performance and achieved 100 per cent plant load factor, PLF, yesterday.
- FACT Ltd. starts movement of fertilizers through
Coastal shipping: -Fertilizers and Chemicals Travancore Limited, a PSU under the Ministry of Chemicals and Fertilizers has started using Coastal Shipping as a new mode of transport for the movement of fertilizers to East and the West Coast of the country. The movement of the first batch of containers with 560 MT Ammonium Sulphate, was flagged off in a function held at FACT Udyogamandal Complex, Eloor on Tuesday. A total of 20 containers of Ammonium Sulphate will be dispatched to Haldia Port for distribution to the farmers in West Bengal. The Ship “SSL Visakhapatnam” with 560 MT Ammonium Sulphate is expected to sail on from Cochin Port tomorrow.
- PFC signs agreement with IIT-Kanpur for research, training in smart grid technology: – Power Finance Corporation, PFC, a PSU under Ministry of Power has an agreement with Indian Institute of Technology- Kanpur for Training, Research, and Entrepreneurship Development in Smart Grid Technology. Under the agreement, PFC will provide financial assistance of worthw two crore thirty eight lakhs and ninety seven thousand rupees to IIT-Kanpur.
- Tamil Nadu Governor Bunwarilal Purohit isolates himself after three more staffs found Covid-19 positive: Tamil Nadu Governor Bunwarilal Purohit has isolated himself for a week as three more staff working in Raj Bhavan in Chennai are confirmed Covid-19 positive. Last week, 84 staff, mostly security personnel, were tested positive for the infection. The total infection in Tamil Nadu has crossed more than two lakh 34 thousand today as 6426 more people turned positive. Meanwhile, the state Chief Minister Edappadi Palaniswamy today interacted with all district collectors through videoconferencing and discussed about the ground situation.
- Civil Aviation Minister flaggs off 1st helicopter service by Pawan Hans in Uttarakhand under UDANRCS scheme: – Civil Aviation Minister Hardeep Singh Puri today flagged off the first helicopter service by Pawan Hans in Uttarakhand under the UDAN-RCS scheme, Mr Puri said that launch of the heli service and opening of these new routes will bring people of the state closer and support tourism in the region. This service will enable connectivity between Dehradun, New Tehri, Srinagar and Gauchar. Commencement of the new heli services will enhance the aerial connectivity between hilly regions in Uttarakhand and bring down the average travel time to 20-25 minutes. This will also assist the Chaar Dhaam Yatra pilgrims. Pawan Hans Ltd. will operate thrice-weekly helicopter services on this route. Two more networks connecting Dehradun to Ramnagar, Pantnagar, Nainital, Almora, Pithoragarh, and Dehradun to Mussoorie will also be operationalized soon by Pawan Hans Ltd.
- Uttar Pradesh Sunni Central Waqf Board announces setting up of trust to build mosque in Ayodhya: -Uttar Pradesh Sunni Central Waqf Board has announced setting up of a trust to build a mosque in Ayodhya, in compliance with the November 2019 order of the Supreme Court in the Ram Janmabhoomi-Babri Masjid title dispute case. The trust has been named the ‘Indo Islamic Cultural Foundation’. In a press release Uttar Pradesh Sunni Central Waqf Board said that it had accepted the alternative five-acre land allotted to it by the Uttar Pradesh government at Village Dhannipur in Raunahi area of Ayodhya. There will be 15 members on the trust.
The Uttar Pradesh Sunni Central Waqf Board will be the founder trustee of the trust, while the secretary of the trust will also function as the official spokesperson.
- Annual 5-day Haj pilgrimage commences today in Saudi Arabia: – The annual five day Haj pilgrimage commences today in Saudi Arabia on a drastically reduced scale due to coronavirus pandemic globally. Only about 1,000 Muslims begins their journey from holy city of Mecca to assemble in Mina. 30% of them will be Saudi citizens while the remaining seventy per cent will be foreign nationals who live in Saudi Arabia. They will spend the night there and move towards plains of Arafat at dawn tomorrow for the day’s main ritual of Haj-reciting prayers. Saudi authorities have put in place strict health norms to prevent spread of coronavirus during Haj pilgrimage. Around 2.5 million pilgrims including record two lakh pilgrims from India performed Haj last year.
- Four policemen injured in explosion inside police station in Dhaka: – Five people including 4 policemen were injured in a bomb explosion inside a police station in Dhaka today in the early morning. The explosion took place at the Pallabi police station in Dhaka where police had kept firearms and a ‘weighing machine’ recovered during a raid last night. The bomb kept inside a ‘weighing machine’ like contraption exploded before the bomb disposal squad could arrive. The police have ruled out involvement of any terrorist group in the act. Briefing the media about the incident, Additional Commissioner (crime) of Dhaka Metropolitan police (DMP) Krishnapada Roy (DMP) said that till now there is no evidence of any terrorist involvement in the act.
BUSINESS AND FINANCE
- Asian Development Bank approves three million US dollar grant to India: – The Asian Development Bank (ADB) has approved a three million US dollar grant to India from its Asia Pacific Disaster Response Fund (APDRF). This grant will further support the government’s emergency response to the COVID-19 pandemic. This support will enhance disease surveillance and help in early detection, contact tracing, and treatment. ADB said, this will be further supplemented by other public health measures. On 28th of April, ADB approved a 1.5 billion US dollar COVID-19 Active Response and Expenditure Support (CARES) Programme to support India in its immediate pandemic response efforts.
- Rupee gains four paise to settle at Rs. 74.80 against USD: – The Indian rupee today gained four paise to settle at 74 rupees 80 paise against the US dollar. The domestic unit appreciated tracking weakness in the American currency.
- International Tigers day being observed today: – International Tiger Day being observed today. The Day is celebrated on 29th of July every year across the globe to create awareness about tiger conservation. Union Environment Minister Prakash Javadekar saluted the front line forest personnel whose efforts he said have taken the tiger on the assured path of recovery in the country. Environment Minister informed that India has 2,967 tigers as per the latest Tiger Census. The nation registered an increase of 741 tigers in the last 4 years. Mr. Javadekar said, Project Tiger was launched in 1973 with just 9 tiger reserves and today the country has 50 tiger reserves.
CORPORATE AFFAIRS AS ON 29th
MINISTRY OF HOME AFFAIRS
Govt issues UNLOCK 3.0 guidelines; Schools, Colleges to
remain closed till August 31st: – Home Ministry today issued
new guidelines for opening up of more activities in areas
outside the Containment Zones. The process of phased reopening of activities has been extended further in Unlock 3,
which will come into effect from 1st of August.
Ministry of Earth Sciences
Earth Sciences Ministry announces National Awards for
excellence in Earth System Science: – Ministry of Earth
Sciences (MoES) National Awards for excellence in Earth
System Science have been announced. This year the Life Time
Excellence Award is being awarded to Professor Ashok Sahni
for his significant contribution in the field of Geology,
Vertebrate Paleontology and Biostratigraphy
Source:- CLICK HERE
MINISTRY OF HEALTH
Health Minister releases book on Standard Treatment
Guidelines for Substance Use Disorders, Behavioural
Addictions: – Health Minister Dr Harsh Vardhan today released
e-book on Standard Treatment Guidelines for the Management of
Substance Use Disorders and Behavioural Addictions. The e-book
aims to tackle substance abuse and behavioral addiction in the
Source: – CLICK HERE
Thanks for reading “CURRENT AND CORPORATE AFFAIRS : 30th JULY 2020”
Compiled By : CS Surbhi Saxena
Subscribe Us on You Tube for LIVE Webinars : YOUTUBE