Current and corporate affairs : 15 August 2020
- President Kovind praises Corona warriors: – President Ram Nath Kovind hailed the efforts of the Centre, State and Union Territories in efffective management of the COVID-19. He said, for a country so vast and diverse with high population density, effective management and containment of the corona virus required superhuman efforts. Mr. Kovind said this, while addressing the nation, on the eve of the 74th Independence Day today.
- Home Minister Amit Shah tests Negative for Coronavirus: – Union Home Minister Amit Shah has tested Corona Negative today. In a tweet, he thanked and expressed gratitude to all his well wishers. He also thanked the doctors and para-medical staff of the hospital who attended him during his treatment. Mr. Shah informed that on the advice of doctors he will stay in home isolation for few more days. The Home Minister was earlier admitted in a hospital in the first week of this month after he tested positive for CoronaVirus.
- Health Minister inaugurates Mega Blood Donation Camp dedicated to Corona Warriors at AIIMS, New Delhi:- Union Health Minister Dr Harsh Vardhan today inaugurated a Mega Blood Donation Camp dedicated to Corona Warriors at All India Institute Of Medical Sciences, AIIMS in New Delhi. On the occasion, the Minister felicitated Corona Warriors. He also felicitated the family members of the Corona Warriors who lost their lives during the fight against COVID-19. Dr Harsh Vardhan also presented certificates to the blood donors.
- Launch of ‘AYUSH for Immunity Campaign’ receives enthusiastic response in digital space: – The Ministry of AYUSH launched a three-month campaign on “Ayush for Immunity” on Friday, through a webinar. More than 50 thousand people participated in the Webinar. Key-note address by spiritual Guru Sri Sri Ravisankar, wherein he stated that Ayush solutions could lead the entire world to healthier and happier lives was the highlight of the event.The Webinar was staged on Ayush Virtual Convention Centre (AVCC), the new digital communication platform of the Ministry. The event was also streamed live on the official Facebook handle of Ministry of AYUSH and observed a total live viewership of 60000people. The other key speakers included Vaidya Rajesh Kotecha, Secretary, Ministry of AYUSH; Milind Soman, celebrity and fitness icon; Dr.Geetha krishnan, Technical Officer, WHO; and Prof. Tanuja Nesari, Director, AIIA.
- Defence Minister Rajnath Singh launches portal for ‘opportunities for Make in India in Defence’: – Defence Minister Rajnath Singh today launched a portal SRIJAN which is a one stop shop online portal that provides access to the vendors to take up items for indigenization. Speaking on the occasion, Mr Singh said this will help industry partners to play active role in the goal of selfreliance in defence sector. Pursuant to Atmanirbhar Bharat announcement, Department of Defence Production has developed an indigenization portal, srijandefence.gov.in, as ‘opportunities for Make in India in Defence’.
- Handmade Pankhas by Tribals will be given to eminent guests at I-Day Celebrations: – Handmade Pankhas made by the tribal artisans will be given to eminent dignitaries and guests who will participate in the Independence Day celebrations. The Tribal Affairs Ministry has collaborated with the Defence Ministry in this regard to supply handmade Pankhas. These Pankhas are eco-friendly and have been made out of natural, organic materials by the tribal artisans of Rajasthan, Odisha, West Bengal, Bihar, Gujarat and Jharkhand. The Tribes India Pankhas are also available for sale in TRIBES India retail outlets across the country and also on its e-commerce platform.
- SC holds Prashant Bhushan guilty of contempt for derogatory tweets against judiciary: – The Supreme Court today held activist-lawyer Prashant Bhushan guilty of contempt for his two derogatory tweets against the judiciary. A bench headed by Justice Arun Mishra said, it would hear the arguments on quantum of sentence to be awarded to Bhushan on 20th of this month. Earlier, the apex court had reserved its verdict in the matter after Bhushan had defended his two tweets, saying they were against the judges regarding their conduct in their personal capacity and they did not obstruct administration of justice.
- Policeman martyred in Gadchiroli area in ambush by naxals: – In Maharashtra a policeman was martyred today in Gadchiroli area in an ambush by naxals. A policeman was martyred in Gadchiroli district when, Naxals opened fire on him. A policeman named Dushyant Nandeshwar (26) was martyred and Dinesh Bhosale was injured in the incident which took place at a grocery store at Kothi village of Bhamragad block in Gadchiroli. Two to three Naxalites who were sitting in ambush shot at Policemen. The mortal remains of martyred policeman will be brought in Gadchiroli where his last rites will be performed with full state honours
- Nitin Gadkari will lay foundation stone for 13 highway projects in Manipur: – Road Transport and Highways Minister Nitin Gadkari will lay the foundation stone for 13 highway projects in Manipur on Monday. He will also inaugurate a Road safety project in the state. The total length of the road is 316 kilometres, involving construction value of about three thousand crore rupees. This will pave the way for development of Manipur and these roads will enhance better connectivity, convenience and economic growth in this North Eastern State.
- Rajasthan: Congress wins motion of confidence through voice vote: – In Rajasthan, the Congress government led by Chief Minister Ashok Gehlot, today won the motion of confidence through voice vote. The house has been adjourned till August 21, said Assembly Speaker CP Joshi. In a House of 200, the Congress party has 107 MLAs and the support of Independents and allies. The BJP has 72 members. Earlier, Legislative Affairs Minister Shanti Dhariwal introduced the motion for vote of confidence in the Legislative Assembly on behalf of the State Government, which was debated in the house. The 35-days-long political crisis in the state has almost over after the government won the motion of confidence. Participating in the debate on the motion, leader of opposition Gulab Chand Kataria, said that the political situation arose in the state in last days was the result of the inter-dispute of the congress party.
- US President Trump announces historic peace deal between UAE, Israel to establish full diplomatic relations: – US President Donald Trump announced that the United Arab Emirates (UAE) and Israel have agreed to establish full diplomatic relations as part of a new peace deal. Under the agreement, Israel would suspend its plans to annex parts of the West Bank. Making the announcement in the Oval Office, US President, said, the deal is a significant step towards building a more peaceful, secure, and prosperous Middle East. President Trump said, the UAE and Israel plan to exchange embassies and ambassadors and begin cooperation on a broad range of areas including tourism, education, healthcare, trade and security.
BUSINESS & FINANCE
- RBI Board approves transfer of Rs 57,128 cr as surplus to central govt: – The RBI Board has approved the transfer of 57,128 crore rupees as surplus to the central government for the accounting year 2019-20. In a statement, RBI has informed that it has also decided to maintain a Contingency Risk Buffer at 5.5 percent. These decisions were taken at the 584th meeting of RBI’s Central Board held earlier today through video conferencing. The Board, chaired by RBI Governor Shaktikanta Das, discussed the bank’s operations in the past year and approved its annual report and statement of accounts. It also reviewed the current economic situation, continued global as well as domestic challenges besides examining monetary, regulatory and other measures taken by the RBI to mitigate the economic impact of COVID-19 pandemic. The Board also discussed the proposal of setting up an Innovation Hub.
- Nitin Gadkari requests industry bodies to study ground level problems of important sectors through various Think Tanks: – Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises, MSME Minister Nitin Gadkari has stressed on the need for sector and industry wise study of the ground level issues by Think Tanks so that new policies may be formulated taking into account their recommendations. He said this while addressing a Webinar in New Delhi today. Interacting with MSME member bodies and Sectoral Associations of FICCI, Mr Gadkari said that all the sectors like plastic, garment, leather, pharmaceuticals and industries associated with them have unique problems. He requested FICCI and other industry associations to study ground level problems of important sectors through various Think Tanks to
solve their problems.
- Sports Minister Kiren Rijiju launches the Fit India Freedom Run: – Sports Minister Kiren Rijiju today launched the largest country-wide run, the Fit India Freedom Run. The event is being organized to mark the 74th Independence Day of India on 15th of August to 151st Birth Anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi on 2nd of October. The government has decided to encourage participants of the event to run at their own pace – anywhere and at any time of their convenience, keeping in view with the current pandemic situation and social distancing norms. Additionally, they can break-up their runs over several days in this period. The total kilometres clocked can be tracked using a Global Positioning System, GPS watch or manually
Compiled By : CS Surbhi Saxena
Subscribe Us on You Tube for LIVE Webinars : Click Here to Visit You Tube Channel