Current and corporate affairs : 14 august 2020
1. Rajnath Singh launches Naval Innovation and Indigenisation Organisation: – Defence Minister Rajnath Singh launched the Naval Innovation and Indigenisation Organisation, NIIO through an online webinar today. The NIIO puts in place dedicated structures for the end users to interact with academia and industry towards fostering innovation and indigenisation for self-reliance in defence. The Draft Defence Acquisition Policy 2020 (DAP 20) rolled out by the Defence Ministry last month envisaged establishment of Innovation & Indigenisation Organisation by the Service Headquarters. Indian Navy already has a functional Directorate of Indigenisation and the new structures created will build upon the ongoing indigenisation initiatives, as well as focus on innovation. A compendium of Indian Navy’s Indigenisation perspective plans titled ‘SWAVLAMBAN’ was also released on the occasion. Chief Minister of Uttar Pradesh Yogi Adityanath and other dignitaries were also present at the event.
2. India will fund Greater Male Connectivity Project through USD 400 mn Line of Credit & USD 100 mn grant: Jaishankar: -External Affairs Minister Dr S Jaishankar has announced that India will fund the implementation of Greater Male Connectivity Project through a 400 million dollar Line of Credit and 100 million dollar grant. This 6.7 kilometre bridge project connecting Male with Gulhifalhu Port and Thilafushi industrial zone will help revitalise and transform Maldivian economy.
- Rajasthan Assembly session begins tomorrow: – Amid the political crisis going on in the state for the last one month, the session of the state assembly will begin tomorrow. Before the session, the meetings of BJP and Congress Legislature Party were held today in Jaipur, where both parties discussed their strategy for the session. The meeting held at Chief Minister’s residence was also attended by 18 Congress MLAs, who had supported Sachin Pilot. The BJP has decided to move a motion of no confidence against the Ashok Gehlot-led Congress government in the state assembly. The decision was taken in a BJP legislature party meeting.
- BJP’s Jai Prakash files nomination for Rajya Sabha bypolls in UP: -In Uttar Pradesh, The BJP candidate Jai Prakash Nishad today filed his nomination for the by-election for the lone Rajya Sabha seat from the state. Many prominent BJP Leaders including Chief Minister Yogi Adityanth were also present at this occasion. The by-election was necessitated after the demise of Samajwadi Party MP Beni Prasad Verma. Jai Prakash Nishad is all set to win as he is the only candidate to file his nomination papers till date. Today was the last date for filing nominations.
1. Russia, Brazil agree to cooperate in production & marketing of world’s first registered coronavirus vaccine Sputnik V: – Russia and Brazil have agreed to cooperate in the production and marketing of the world’s first registered coronavirus vaccine Sputnik V. In a Statement Russian Direct Investment Fund said that the agreement was reached with Brazilian State of Parana yesterday. As part of the signed strategic cooperation agreement, RDIF, together with pharmaceutical companies in the state of Parana, is organizing the production of Sputnik V vaccine and its distribution in Brazil and other Latin American countries. On Tuesday, the Russian Health Ministry registered the world’s first Sputnik V vaccine for the prevention of COVID-19.
2. Charges framed against former Chief Justice of Bangladesh in money laundering case: – A Dhaka court on Thursday framed charges against the former Chief Justice of Bangladesh Justice S.K. Sinha and ten others in a money laundering case filed by the Anti-Corruption Commission (ACC).The court has fixed August 18 for starting the trial in the case. Out of the 11 accused, three were present in the court during the hearing on Thursday while eight others including former Chief Justice S.K. Sinha are absconding. The ACC had filed the case against Justice Sinha and others in July last year for a fraudulent loan transaction and money laundering of 4 crore Taka from Farmers Bank in 2016. It had filed the chargesheet in a Dhaka court in December last year which was transferred to the court of a special judge in February this year.
BUSINESS AND FINANCE
1. Launch of ‘Transparent Taxation-Honoring the Honest’ platform is a historic step in tax administration: FICCI: – The launch of the platform for “Transparent Taxation-Honoring the Honest” by Prime Minister Narendra Modi, is a historic step in tax administration, said Secretary General of FICCI, Dilip Chenoy today. He said this will primarily benefit the honest tax payers and FICCI welcomes the charter and transparency that has been brought in.On behalf of FICCI, Mr. Chenoy said that as appealed by the Prime Minister, FICCI too urges people who fall in the tax bracket and those who evade tax to pay their tax on time and contribute in the development of the country.
1. National archery camp to resume on August 25 at ASI, Pune: SAI: – The Sports Authority of India (SAI) today said, the national archery camp for Olympic hopefuls will resume at the Army Sports Institute in Pune on August 25th. The camp was called off midway in March due to the COVID-19 pandemic. A total of 16 recurve archers — eight men and as many women, along with four coaches and two support staff will report for the camp on August 25th and undergo the mandatory 14-day period inside the ASI campus before starting their training sessions.
Compiled By : CS Surbhi Saxena
Subscribe Us on You Tube for LIVE Webinars : Click Here to Visit You Tube Channel