CURRENT AND CORPORATE AFFAIRS : 11 AUGUST 2020
- Former President Pranab Mukherjee tests positive
for COVID-19 :- Former President Pranab Mukherjee has tested positive for COVID-19 today. Mr Mukherjee requested the people who came in contact with him in the last week to self isolate and get tested for COVID-19. President Ram Nath Kovind spoke to Mr Mukherjee’s daughter
Sharmistha and inquired about the health of her father. The President wished Mr Mukherjee a speedy recovery and good health. Defence Minister Rajnath Singh visited Army’s Research and Referral Hospital this evening and enquired about the health of Mr Mukherjee, who is admitted there after testing positive for COVID19.
- Indian hockey team forward player Mandeep Singh tested COVID positive: – Indian hockey team forward player Mandeep Singh has tested positive, becoming the sixth hockey player of the national team to contract the Covid 19 virus. In a statement issued by the Sports Authority of India, 20 players camping at SAI’s National Centre of Excellence in Bengaluru were given RT PCR test. Mandeep Singh has tested Covid positive, but is asymptomatic.
- EPFO ensures hassle free service delivery through UMANG app during COVID-19 pandemic :- Employees’ Provident Fund Organisation, EPFO has ensured hassle free service delivery through UMANG app during COVID-19 pandemic. Labour and Employment Ministry said, presently a PF member can access 16 different services of EPFO on their mobile phone using the Unified Mobile Application for New-age Governance, UMANG App. The Ministry said, on UMANG app a member can raise claim, track claim and know the status of claim raised. During the COVID-19 pandemic period from April to July, a total of over 11 lakh claims were filed online through UMANG App.
- Defence Minister Rajnath Singh launches various initiatives of DPSUs & OFB through digital link :- Defence Minister Rajnath Singh today launched the initiatives of a number of modernization and up-gradation of facilities as also new infrastructure creation by Defence Public Sector Undertakings, DPSUs and Ordnance Factory Board OFB through digital link in New Delhi. It was part of the of the Atmanirbhar Week celebration of the Ministry of Defence.
- Union Minister Prakash Javadekar launches portal on Human Elephant Conflict on World Elephant Day :- The Minister for Environment and Forest Prakash Javadekar today released document on Best Practices and launched a portal on Human Elephant Conflict on the eve of World Elephant Day, 2020. Speaking on the occasion, Mr Javadekar said, efforts are in full swing to provide food and water to the animals in the forests itself to deal with the growing human-animal conflict cases.
He said, India is committed to the cause of saving elephants and other animals and is working towards robust, practical and cost effective solutions to end the human animal conflict.
- J&K UT LG Manoj Sinha condemns killing of Political leader from Budgam Abdul Hamid :- In the Union Territory of Jammu and Kashmir, Lieutenant Governor, Manoj Sinha has strongly condemned the killing of Political leader from Budgam, Abdul Hamid. Abdul Hamid succumbed to his injuries after being shot by the unknown gunmen. The Lt Governor expressed anguish over the killing and said that the heinous act is an attempt to spread fear and there can be no justification for such attacks.
- Rebel MLA Bhanwar Lal Sharma meets CM Ashok Gehlot in Jaipur :- In Rajasthan, Senior leader of Congress and rebel MLA Bhanwar Lal Sharma has returned to Jaipur Monday evening and met Chief Minister Ashok Gehlot. Interacting to the media after the meeting , he said that he is with the party and government. He also claimed that other rebel MLAs
of the party will also return to the party forum soon. Mr. Sharma was among 19 rebel MLAs led by former Deputy Chief Minister Sachin Pilot.
Mr. Pilot is also meeting with top leadership of Congress today.
- 78% population of Madhya Pradesh covered under Ayushman Bharat PM-JAY scheme: Dr. Harsh Vardhan :- Union Health Minister Dr. Harsh Vardhan today said that 78 per cent of the population of Madhya Pradesh are covered under the Ayushman Bharat PM-JAY scheme. Interacting with Chief Minister of Madhya Pradesh Shivraj Singh Chouhan through video conference, he said, the state government has presented a roadmap in improving the health sector to make the State ‘Atmanirbhar’ by 2023.
- India, Maldives ink contract for development of five eco-tourism zones in Addu atoll of island nation :- India and Maldives today signed a contract for development of five eco-tourism zones in Addu atoll of the island nation. Maldives foreign secretary Abdul Ghafoor, MPs representing Addu city and Indian high commissioner Sunjay Sudhir participated in the ceremony. These eco tourism zones are part of grant projects being implemented under the High-Impact Community Development project (HICDP) scheme which involves a total grant assistance of 5.5 million US dollars to the Maldives.Currently, there are 9 such high-impact projects being implemented in the Maldives.
- Sri Lanka: All govt schools re-open for all grades after 5 months :- In Sri Lanka, all government schools have reopened today for all grades nearly five months after they were closed due to COVID outbreak in the country. Earlier, the schools were opened for senior grades last month for couple of weeks before they got closed because of a fresh cluster developing in a rehabilitation center and general elections held last week. The schools are allowed to re-open from today in several phases to
prevent overcrowding within confined spaces.
Thanks for Reading Current and Corporate Affairs : 11 August 2020
Compiled By : CS Surbhi Saxena
Subscribe Us on You Tube for LIVE Webinars : Click Here to Visit You Tube Channel