TDS refund will be given to people whose financial disclosures from the beginning of the year were less than the proof of investment they provided at the end of the year. A situation for a refund will occur if the expected investments announced at the beginning of the year are lower than the actual investments made at the end of the year. You can receive the TDS refund sooner if you file your income tax return as shortly as possible.
Calculate your taxable income and taxes, submit an income tax return (ITR), and request a refund if the tax deducted does not match the tax that must be paid.You will be asked for your bank’s name and IFSC code during the ITR filing process. This makes it simpler for the IT division to reimburse the extra tax you paid.
- When a deduction made by your employer is more than your taxable income
- If your taxable income is less than the basic exemption limit, you can avoid paying TDS on your salary by submitting Form 13 to your jurisdictional Income Tax Officer.
- You can give the TDS deductor the Nil deduction order issued under Section 197.
- If your bank deducts tax from your fixed deposit even though your income is below the tax threshold
- In the event that your taxable income falls below the basic exemption level, notify your bank in Form 15G that you do not have taxable income at the start of the fiscal year. As a result, you pay no tax (TDS) on your interest income.
- Despite submitting Form 15G, if your bank continues to withhold tax from your interest income (TDS), you can request a refund by submitting an ITR.
- FD accounts held by senior citizens
- Senior citizens aged 60 and up are exempt from tax deductions (TDS) on bank account interest. The exemption is still applicable, though, as long as each bank’s interest on deposits does not exceed Rs 50,000 annually.
- If your interest income is greater than the aforementioned threshold limit but your total income is below the basic exemption level (after section 80 deductions), you can inform your bank that you have no taxable income by submitting Form 15H at the start of the fiscal year.
- You can send Form 15H to your bank at the start of the fiscal year to inform them that you do not have a taxable income if your interest income exceeds the threshold level mentioned above but your overall income is below the basic exemption limit (after section 80 deductions).
- You can file an ITR to request a refund if the bank continues to deduct tax from your interest income from an FD.
How do I Request an Online TDS Refund?
- To submit your TDS electronically, you must first create an account on the IT department’s website
- You can download the required ITR form after registering in order to file your income tax return.
- Complete the required fields, upload the form, and press “submit.”
- You must e-verify the ITR acknowledgement that is produced once the ITR is filed. Digital signatures, OTPs based on Aadhaar, and net banking accounts can all be used for e-verification.
- If you were unable to e-verify the ITR, you can still complete the verification by giving the IT department a signed physical copy of the document.
How to verify TDS return status?
I. In the event that you have not yet received your refund, you can check the status by logging into your e-filing account and taking the following actions
Step 1: sign in to your e-filing account.
Step 2: Navigate to E-file > Income Tax Returns > View Filed Returns
Step 3: Click “see details” under the applicable assessment year for which you want to check the status of your IT refund.
Step 4: Click on the “refund status” link if the ITR has been processed and a refund is due. The screen will provide all of the information related to your ITR filing, including the date your ITR was filed, the date it was processed, and the date a refund was issued.
II. The NSDL website also allows you to check the status of your income tax refund.
Step 1: Log on to the tin-NSDL website, select the ‘Services’ option, and then choose the ‘Status of Tax Refunds’ option.
Step 2: Enter the PAN, the applicable assessment year, and the captcha, and then submit to find out the refund status.
III. Other methods to check your TDS refund
- Download and check your Form 26AS, which contains information on your TDS and revenue.
- Contact the income tax officer for your jurisdiction.
- Make a complaint via your e-filing account or by contacting the Ombudsman Income Tax Department.
Types of Income Tax Refund Status
|Refund paid||The ITR filing has been processed, and your account is credited with the refund||Verify the refund received with the bank. contact the registered bank to identify the problem in the event of non-receipt|
|No refund since there was no demand||Neither required to pay taxes nor eligible for any refunds.||If you have requested a refund, review the comparison you received from the IT Department and file a corrected return if necessary.|
|Refund unpaid||The IT department has accepted a refund, but it cannot be paid due to a bank or address details error.||Raise a refund reissue request and update the appropriate information on the income tax portal.|
|Undetermined refund status||Your ITR has not yet been processed.||Recheck the status in a few days.|
|Refund determined and forwarded to the refund banker||IT Department accepted the refund request, and the refund banker has been notified.||Wait for the refund to be credited to your account or try contacting the refund banker to find out the status of the refund payment.|
|Demand determined||There is an additional tax obligation that needs to be paid because the tax calculation differs from that of the IT department.||Verify the calculation done under 143(1) to determine the mismatch/error. if an error is determined, it should be corrected by paying it department within the specified timespan.If there is no error, the applicant must file a rectification and include all supporting information and documents to support their refund claim.|
|Correction made, reimbursement calculated, and information submitted to refund banker||Correction return has been accepted, and in addition, the refund amount has been recalculated and sent to the bank for processing.||Confirm refund receipt by checking your bank account.|
|Rectification processed and demand determined||The correction return has been accepted, but there are unpaid tax obligations (tax demands) that must be paid within a certain period of time.||After cross-checking all the information within the designated time frame, pay the outstanding tax/tax demand.|
|Rectification processed, no demand and no refund||The income tax department has acknowledged a corrected return. furthermore, you are not liable for a tax refund or required to pay any additional tax.||–|