FOOD SAFETY AND STANDARDS AUTHORITY OF INDIA vide gazette id no. CG-DL-E-16062022-236584 dated 10th June, 2022 published dated 14th June, 2022 has released the “Food Safety and Standards (Vegan Foods) Regulations, 2022”.
It’s a concept that prohibits the consumption of all the byproducts obtained from animals and thus one cannot consume dairy, eggs, meat, and even honey when on a vegan diet.
The draft of the Food Safety and Standards (Vegan Foods) Regulations, 2021, were published as required by section 92 (1) of the Food Safety and Standards Act, 2006 (34 of 2006) vide notification of the Food Safety and Standards Authority of India, number F. No. Std/TF-Vegan Foods/Notif./FSSAI, dated the 6″ September, 2021.
Applicability: They shall come into force on the date of their publication in the Official Gazette.
- Important Definition Clause:
“vegan food” means the food or food ingredient, including additives, flavourings, enzymes and carriers, or processing aids that are not products of animal origin and in which, at no stage of production and processing, ingredients, including additives, flavourings, enzymes and carriers, or processing aids that are of animal origin has been used.
A. General requirements
- No person shall manufacture, pack, sell, offer for sale, market or otherwise distribute or import any food as vegan food unless they comply with the requirements laid down under these regulations.
- The food products to be called vegan, shall not have involved animal testing for any purpose including safety evaluation, unless provided by any Regulatory Authority.
- Every packaging material used for vegan foods shall comply with the provisions of the packaging regulations.
- The Food Business Operator shall ensure that all stages of production, processing and distribution shall be designed to take the appropriate precautions in conformity with the Good Manufacturing Practices in such a way to avoid the unintended presence of non-vegan substances.
- There shall be traceability established up to the manufacturer level and the Food Business Operator shall comply with any other requirements specified by the Food Authority to maintain the vegan integrity of the foods or food ingredients or products thereof from time to time.
- Every vegan food or ingredient shall comply with the relevant provisions, as applicable under the Act, rules and regulations.
B. Labelling and display requirements. –
- The seller of vegan food either exclusively or as part of retail merchandise shall store and display such food in a manner distinguishable from non-vegan food.
- Every package of vegan foods, after the approval, shall carry the logo as specified below:
- In addition to the specified requirements, all vegan foods shall comply with the packaging and labelling requirements specified under the Food Safety and Standards (Labelling and Display) Regulations, 2020, except clause(b) of sub regulation (4) of regulation 5.
C. Vegan food compliance. –
- The Food Business Operator shall submit an application to the concerned licensing authority with all necessary details in a format as may be specified by the Food Authority.
- The Food Authority may specify guidelines for approval of vegan logo.
- No vegan food products shall be imported except with a certificate issued by the recognised authorities of the exporting countries in the format as specified by the Authority is accepted.
As per the new rules laid out by the FSSAI on June 10, it has been made compulsory for manufacturers of vegan products to display the logo specified by the authority for easier recognition as well as ensure traceability of the products up to the level of manufacturers.
- Notification Link: Click Here
Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to avoid errors or omissions in this material. In spite of this, errors may creep in. Any mistake, error or discrepancy noted may be brought to our notice which shall be taken care of in the next edition. In no event the author shall be liable for any direct, indirect, special or incidental damage resulting from or arising out of or in connection with the use of this information.