FSSAI Revised Product Labelling Requirements Norms
(The Food Safety and Standards (Labelling and Display) Regulations, 2020)
MINISTRY OF HEALTH AND FAMILY WELFARE, Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI) vide Gazette ID CG-DL-E-19122020-223813 issued dated 18th November, 2020 and published in Gazette on 10.12.2020, has come up with The Food Safety and Standards (Labelling and Display) Regulations, 2020 in exercise of the powers conferred by Section 92 (2) (k) of the the Food Safety and Standards Act, 2006, in supersession of the Food Safety and Standards (Packaging and Labelling) Regulations, 2011.
The Food Authority has decided to divide the Food Safety and Standards (Packaging and Labelling) Regulations, 2011 into two regulations,-
- the Food Safety and Standards (Packaging) Regulations, 2018; and
- the Food Safety and Standards (Labelling and Display) Regulations, 2019.
They shall come into force on the date of their publication in the Official Gazette and Food Business Operator shall comply with all the provisions of these regulations after one year from the date of their publication in the Official Gazette except chapter-3 of these regulations, to which Food Business Operator shall comply by 1st January, 2022.
Interpretation: Every food business operator has to comply with the said regulations after one year from the date of their publication in the official gazette. The said regulations were issued by the Food Safety and Standards Authority of India on 18th November, 2020 and were published in the official gazette on 10th December, 2020 with gazette no. CG-DL-E-10122020-223635. Meaning thereby that FBO’s should comply with the Regulations from 9th December, 2021.
- Key Highlights:
Revised Product Labelling Requirements Norms
- Any information or pictorial device written, printed, or graphic matter may be displayed on the label provided that it is not in conflict with the requirements of these regulations;
- The list of ingredients shall contain an appropriate title, such as the term “Ingredients/List of Ingredients”
- Every package of food shall carry name of the food which indicate the true nature of the food contained in the package, on the Front of Pack.
- It may additionally have a “coined”, “fanciful”, “brand” or “trade name” subject to compliance of Food Safety & Standards (Advertising and Claims) Regulation 2018.
4. Added water shall be declared in the list of ingredients except in cases where water forms part of an ingredient, such as, brine, syrup or broth, used in the compound food and so declared in the list of ingredients.
5. Logo on Product
|Non – Veg Logo||Veg Logo|
|Every package of Non-Vegetarian Food containing ingredients including food additives, processing aids of animal origin shall bear a declaration to this effect made by a symbol and colour code as stipulated below. The symbol shall consist of a brown colour filled triangle inside a square with brown outline having the sides not less than the minimum size specified in the Table mentioned in the regulation 5 (4) (c), below: Refer Point 6||Every package of Vegetarian Food containing ingredients including food additives, processing aids of plant origin shall bear a declaration to this effect by a symbol and colour code as stipulated below. The symbol shall consist of a green colour filled circle inside a square with green outline having the diameter not less than the minimum size specified in the Table mentioned in the regulation 5 (4) (c), as indicated below: Refer Point 6|
6. Size of the Logo:
7. Declaration regarding Veg. or Non-Veg shall also be prominently displayed as provided in this regulation on the pamphlets, leaflets and advertisements in any media. The symbol shall be prominently displayed on the package having contrast background on principal display panel, just close in proximity to the name or brand name of the production front of pack.
8. Legal Metrology Provisions Applicability : Net quantity, Retail Sale Price and Consumer Care details.- Declaration and manner of declaration of Net quantity, Retail Sale Price and Consumer Care details shall be as provided in Legal Metrology Act, 2009 (1 of 2010) and the Rules made there under.
9. “Date of manufacture or packaging” and “Expiry/Use by” shall be declared on the label. However, expression “Best before” may also be used as optional or additional information. “Date of manufacture or packaging” and “Expiry /Use by” shall be grouped together and given at one place.
10. The FSSAI logo and license number of the brand owner shall be displayed on the label. In addition, the license number of the manufacturer or marketer or packer or bottler, as the case may be, if different from the brand owner, shall also be displayed on the label.
10. Labelling of ‘Gluten Free’ Products
The term “Gluten Free” shall be printed in the immediate proximity of the name of the product in the case of products described in regulation 2.14 of the Food Safety and Standards (Food Products Standards and Food Additives) Regulations, 2011, namely:-
In case any gluten free product is manufactured in a plant where gluten containing products are also manufactured this shall be declared on the label as “Processed in a plant where gluten containing products are manufactured”
12. Declaration of name and complete address:
The name and complete address of the brand owner, whether or not, he himself is the manufacturer, marketer, packer or bottler, as the case may be, shall be declared on the label. Such name and address shall be preceded by the qualifying words “Manufactured by (Mfg by, Mfd by)” or “Marketed by (Mkt by)” or “Manufactured & Marketed by” or “Packed & Marketed by” as the case may be. In case of alcoholic beverages, “Bottled by” or “Blended and Bottled by “or “Imported and Bottled by”. Or “distilled and bottled by” may also be declared on label.
13. The height of any numeral and letter required under these regulations, on the principal display panel shall be as shown in table below:
the size of numeral and/or letters required for declaration of net weight, retail sale price, date of expiry or best before or the use by date (wherever and as applicable) and Consumer care details on the principal display panel shall be as provided in the Legal Metrology Act, 2009 (1 of 2010) and the rules made there under.
14. Instructions for use
Instructions for use, including reconstitution, where applicable, shall be included on the label, to ensure proper utilization of the food or where such food requires directions for reasons for health and safety (e.g.‘Refrigerate after opening’).
Source / Read Full Notification:
Every effort has been made to avoid errors or omissions in this material. In spite of this, errors may creep in. Any mistake, error or discrepancy noted may be brought to our notice which shall be taken care of in the next edition. In no event the author shall be liable for any direct, indirect, special or incidental damage resulting from or arising out of or in connection with the use of this information.