Ministry of MSME, through Khadi and Village Industries Commission (KVIC), has taken various new measures for the development of Khadi and Village Industries (KVI) and creation of more employment opportunities in the country. Details of such initiatives are annexed.
During the year 2020-21, scheme-wise number of persons trained under various activities for the creation of employment/self-employment opportunities through various Departmental and Non-Departmental Training Centres of KVIC and Training programmes organized by the field offices of KVIC under various programmes is given below:
Apart from above, KVIC, through its various skill development training programmes in disciplines like Beekeeping, Fruits and Vegetables processing, Bakery course, Tailoring and Embroidery, Soap and Detergent making, Beautician course, etc. have skilled 47612 numbers of candidates during the year 2020-21.
As of December, 2021, KVIC has created 162.92 lakh number of cumulative employment in the country through implementation of various Khadi and Village Industries activities.
The new measures taken by KVIC for the development of Khadi and Village Industries and creation of more employment opportunities in the country are as follows:
- KVIC popularize the Khadi and Village Industries (KVI) products through exhibitions to make them accessible in the domestic and international markets, which proved as a cost-effective medium for publicity as well as opening marketing opportunities to the KVI products and also as an instrument for creating awareness.
- KVIC through its Kumarappa National Handmade Paper Institute (KNHPI), Rajasthan, has developed the technology for manufacturing of Khadi Prakritik Paint and providing technical training to interested Entrepreneurs to set their enterprises of manufacturing of Khadi Prakritik Paint.
- KVIC started selling all its KVI products through online sales platforms e-khadiindia.com and khadiindia.gov.in. More than 3,300 products have been on-boarded on the portal. Mobile app for the portal is also functional.
- To promote the Khadi Sector, KVIC is establishing Centre of Excellence for Khadi (CoEK) with the technical support of NIFT, New Delhi at NIFT Delhi (Hub Centre) and its four spokes at Gandhinagar, Kolkata, Shillong, Bangalore to help Khadi Institutions to effectively design, produce and market high quality differentiated Khadi products in the Indian and global market.
- IIT-Delhi has taken up the project for “Development of Light weight Charkha” which resulted light operational load and increase in average production of yarn by 30-40%.
- In order to ensure supply of quality raw material to the KVI sector for production of quality Khadi products, all the KVIC’s Central Sliver Plants (CSP) are being modernised with latest state of the art machineries.
- KVIC has organised a designer competition, for promoting Khadi with contemporary designs, in which eminent designers have participated and top 4 designers have been selected and these designs will be replicated in the Khadi Sector.
- Under Kumhar Sashaktikaran Programme, KVIC distributes Electric Pottery Wheels alongwith other tools and equipment to the Pottery artisans, for strengthening potter families engaged in pottery.
- KVIC is engaged in the development of the Beekeeping Industry/Honey Mission with a view to uplift people living in extremely interior rural areas by introducing and popularizing modern Beekeeping and creating sustainable employment and income.
- KVIC has launched the Pilot Project of Agarbatti Industry vertical under GVY in 2020-21. Training to Self Help Groups (SHGs)/Artisans and pedal operated
- & automatic Agarbatti making machines are provided under the programme throughout the country.
- To uplift the livelihood of the leather artisans, KVIC launched the Leather Artisans’ Empowerment Programme during the year 2019-20, under which leather artisans are trained and provided tools and equipment.
- Government of India has issued Harmonized System (HS) code bracket to KVIC to categorize 11 Khadi & Village Industries (KVI) products in export.
This information was given by the Minister of State for Micro Small and Medium Enterprises, Shri Bhanu Pratap Singh Verma in a written reply to the Rajya Sabha.