GSTR-4 Annual Return : Eligibility, Features and FAQs
What is Form GSTR-4 Annual Return
With effect from 1st April, 2019, all Composition Taxpayers are required to file Form GSTR-4 Annual Return, on annual basis, for each financial year.
Who needs to file Form GSTR-4 (Annual Return)
All registered taxpayers who have opted for composition scheme under GST, for any period during the financial year, need to file Form GSTR-4 (Annual Return). This will include a taxpayer –
- who have opted for composition scheme since registration and have never opted out subsequently; and
- who have opted in for composition scheme before starting of the financial year; and
- who have opted in for composition but subsequently opted out any time during the year.
Who doesn’t need to file Form GSTR-4 (Annual Return)
Following persons are not required to file Form GSTR-4 (Annual Return) :
- Regular taxpayer who have not opted in composition scheme for any period during the financial year
- Non-resident taxable persons
- Input service distributor
- Casual Taxable Person
- Persons required to Deduct Tax at Source u/s 51
- Persons required to Collect Tax at Source u/s 52
- UIN holder
Who can file NIL Form GSTR-4 Annual Return
Nil Form GSTR-4 Annual Return can be filed for the financial year, if you have, for all applicable quarters of the year,:
- NOT made any outward supply
- NOT received any goods/services
- Have NO other liability to report
- Have filed all Form CMP-08 as Nil
Due date of Filing
The due date for filing Form GSTR-4 Annual Return is 30th of the month succeeding the financial year or as extended by Government, from time to time. For FY 2019-20, it has to be filed by 31/08/2020.
Filing of Form GSTR-4 Annual return
Logon to your dashboard, click on Services > Returns > Annual Return > Select FY > Search > GSTR 4 > FILE THE RETURN.
Form GSTR-4 (Annual Return) comprises of which tables
Form GSTR-4 (Annual Return) comprises of following tables :
- 4A. Inward supplies from registered supplier (other than reverse charge): To add details of inward supplies received from a registered supplier (other than reverse charge)
- 4B. Inward supplies from registered supplier (reverse charge): To add details of inward supplies received from a registered supplier (reverse charge)
- 4C. Inward supplies from unregistered supplier: To add details of inward supplies received from an unregistered supplier
- 4D. Import of Service: To add details of import of service
- 5. Summary of CMP-08: To view auto-drafted details provided in filed Form CMP-08 for the financial year
- 6. Tax rate wise inward and outward supplies: To enter tax rate wise details of outward supplies/ inward supplies attracting reverse charge during the financial year
- 7. TDS/TCS credit received: To view details related to TDS/TCS credit received
Note : The entries in table 4 (4A, 4B, 4C & 4D) will be net of credit/debit notes and advances.
What details are entered in Table 3(a)
The taxpayer need to enter previous year’s Aggregate turnover.
Note : Taxpayer can enter ‘zero’ also.
Which tables in Form GSTR-4 (Annual Return) has auto-populated data from filed Form CMP-08
Table 5. Summary of self-assessed liability in Form GSTR-4 (Annual Return) has auto-populated data from filed Form CMP-08 which are non-editable.
Is the amount in tax fields auto-populated based on the values entered in Taxable Value fields
The Amount of Tax fields are auto-populated based on the values entered in Taxable Value fields respectively. The CESS field is not auto populated and has to be entered by the taxpayer.
How values are populated in Table 7 ‘Amount of TDS and TCS credit received
Amount of TDS and TCS are auto-drafted based on the filed form of TDS and TCS received. The values in Table 7, TDS and TCS credit received will be populated based on the amount which is accepted to Electronic cash ledger during that financial year.
How to add Outward supplies details in table 6 -Tax rate wise details of outward supplies / inward supplies attracting reverse charge during the year (Net of advances, credit and debit notes and any other adjustment due to amendments etc.)
The details of Outward supplies need to be entered manually by the taxpayer, the system will not auto-draft these details.
However, the details of inward supplies (from table 4B, 4C and 4D for each tax rate wise) will be auto-drafted only after the taxpayer has clicked on ‘Proceed to file’ button. Before that the balance will be displayed as ‘zero’.
Can I download summary of Form GSTR-4 (Annual Return)
Yes, you can download summary of Form GSTR-4 (Annual Return) in PDF format and Excel format.
Navigate to Services > Returns > Annual Return > Form GSTR-4 (PREPARE ONLINE) > DOWNLOAD GSTR-4 SUMMARY (PDF)/ DOWNLOAD GSTR-4 (EXCEL) button option.
Some important Points
- Form GSTR 4 can be filed only if, all applicable quarterly statements in Form CMP 08 of that financial year, have been filed.
- Form GSTR-4 Annual Return, once filed, can’t be revised
- After successfully filing, ARN will be generated and intimated through email and SMS
- Currently only the online filing has been enabled on the portal. Shortly, offline tool to file Form GSTR-4 Annual Return will also be made available.
How it is different from Form GSTR-4 Quarterly Return
Please note that this Form GSTR-4 Annual Return is different from the Form GSTR-4 Quarterly Return, which was required to be filed on a quarterly basis.
- Form GSTR-4 Quarterly Return is applicable up to tax period ending on 31st March, 2019, for composition taxpayers.
- For tax periods till the quarter ending March, 2019, Composition Taxpayers are required to file Form GSTR-4 Quarterly Return (which is also available on the GST portal), on quarterly basis. Whereas from 01.04.2019, composition taxpayers are required to file Form GST CMP 08, on quarterly basis.
Thanks for Reading our Article on “GSTR-4 Annual Return : Eligibility, Features and FAQs”